Monday 7 June 2021

June 7th

On a warm and sunny morning there was not a great deal to be seen on our walk from Reculver to Coldharbour so I took the opportunity afterwards to count the Sand Martins holes in use at Bishopstone. On our walk we counted 1 Blackcap, 5 Oystercatchers, 1 Pied Wagtail, 7 Whitethroats, 1 Lapwing, 2 Kestrels, 3 Shelduck, 8 Linnets, 8 Mallard, 4 Ringed Plovers, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 19 Turnstone and 5 Stonechats.

I had already checked last year's Sand Martins holes at Reculver to find that they had been destroyed by winter cliff falls so I went to Bishopstone instead where I counted 72 nests holes in use. I don't think that this is the complete total of nests in the area as there appeared to be more birds further down towards the headland which hopefully we will count in the next week or two.



Sand Martin colony at Bishopstone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.